Quantcast
NCCU/WSSU Bands
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:16:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  On the Sidelines and In The Stands
| | | |-+  NCCU/WSSU Bands
« previous next »
Pages: 1st 1 [2] 3 4 » Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCCU/WSSU Bands  (Read 8882 times)
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 09:12:02 AM »

My problem is, the next dirctor is going to come in and have problems with the riffs.  Our fight song is not as bad as you may think.  Yes the words may need to be changed, but I love hearing it.  I guess because I am a college sports fan and most colleges fight songs are played often during games.  This is not the case with most hbcus.  I'm so glad song was my favorite, but I bet you that current dirctor has a problem with that song. 

If I had a vote, I will say keep the fight song.   

Whether great or small, victory is victory!
Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
Assistant GM

"Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 09:32:12 AM »

Our fight song is not as bad as you may think.  Yes the words may need to be changed, but I love hearing it.

OK, Fair enough.  nod

Take Care!

On NCCU Wings of "Eagles Up - Soaring High" With Eagle Pride Amplified!  

Eagles Fan Forum
Sound Machine
Alumni Eagles
The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green
Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 11:16:57 AM »

In all of my 40+ years of following NCCU athletics I have not heard the NCCU band play "I'm So Glad" more than 3 or 4 times.  That has never been a song played at our games.  As much as I long that song we don't play it.  And no bands plays it better than the Aristocrat of Bands at Tennessee State University.    Grin   bow  The TSU fans love it and they sing and sway to it all of the time.  I have gone to enough TSU games in Nashville and on the road to know how their fans feel about that song.

If you remember our tip to Baton Rouge to Southern University in 2006, the Human Juke Box played that song over and over and over again.   When the team came onto the field just before the start of the game they band that song about 8 times consecutively.  The Jaguar Nation responds to that song all of the time.

I think it was OldSchoolRam who said that he did not think there were any words to the WSSU fight song but it is just a tune.  But the Rams fans respond to it.  They here it during football and basketball season.  The NCCU fight song has never been played during basketball season.   shrug

A lot HBCU have unique fight songs and their fans respond.  Some have generic fight songs like "I'm So Glad" and "Spirit" (like A&T).  I like the unique songs that you can identify with one school.   The Alcorn War Chant is another great song that let's you know it is for the Braves of Alcorn.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 11:43:45 AM »

Ried has done a wonderful job building some type of tradiction at NCCU.  I hope he doesn't get bored with those tradictions.  Sometimes you have to tell the students and fans what to do when certain songs are played.  All spirited songs should be a part of football and basketball games.  Running out on the feild hearing the fight song as a player will pump you up.  Also players get pumped after a big play hearing the fight song or any spirited song in the background.   

I'm so glad was played when I was in school in the 80s.  I think they played in some in the early 90s. 

We wonder why we don't get those top recruits.  Well, game atmosphere plays a part in most decisions.  They want to play in front of a crowds that will cheer them on.  We have a great band and what it takes to have exciting games.     

DJTheRealist
Assistant GM

Mr. Fierce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 10:25:20 PM »

Very interesting view points....I personally don't have issues with the Fight Song, however I feel like we need a variety of songs to play after touchdowns and to get the fans hype....Riff #3 (For the black folks) def has the fans, players, and cheerleaders hype...When it was played Saturday is was GREAT....I was in the student section and students were HYPE....More songs like that will get folks HYPE at the games....I understand that student morale is low on campus so why not get the fans hype during the games....If what I'm hearing about the number of home games is correct then I expect O'Kelly to be ROCKING during all the games....BAND, FANS, CHEERLEADERS, and ALUMNI....When I see Dr. Nelms doing is EAGLE PRIDE chant it makes you want to get up and cheer....Reid is doing a great job with the band and I look forward to them doing more great things...Increase the song book and things will be alright....The MSM has wayyy to many talented students in the band for them not to be creative and excited during the games...

GO EAGLES!!!

Co-Founder of the NCCU Screaming Eagles...Don't Mess With The Flock!!!
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 12:00:06 AM »

You weren't allowed to play? shrug  I just don't believe that.  There is a time that the band should and shouldn't play.  If you have a problem with finding out when to play, it may be best not to play at all. 
Frankly, It doesnt matter what you "believe." I have no reason to lie. We werent allowed to play, what is hard to believe about that? We have FAMU, Prarie View A&M, Florida State, Univ of Illinois, Boston Univ, and Ole Miss band experienbetween our 3 directors. I think they can figure out when to play. But, just in case your school has decided to issue these little chart things...this is one i got from homecoming. If it does not say "Band plays to crowd" we arent allowed to play...
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 09:10:36 AM »

You weren't allowed to play? shrug  I just don't believe that.  There is a time that the band should and shouldn't play.  If you have a problem with finding out when to play, it may be best not to play at all. 
Frankly, It doesnt matter what you "believe." I have no reason to lie. We werent allowed to play, what is hard to believe about that? We have FAMU, Prarie View A&M, Florida State, Univ of Illinois, Boston Univ, and Ole Miss band experienbetween our 3 directors. I think they can figure out when to play. But, just in case your school has decided to issue these little chart things...this is one i got from homecoming. If it does not say "Band plays to crowd" we arent allowed to play...

I really couldn't make out what you posted.  This post is not about homecoming, it is about the WSSU's game.  WSSU's band played most of the first quarter backing their team.  But you are telling me that NCCU was not allowed to play?  Or are we still having problems with being told when to play?  Darn, I still hear that SU's fight song in my ears.  With all that experience, we still don't have a clue as to how to play a football game.  We could have learned a lot from WSSU.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:12:24 AM by eagle pride » Logged

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
Assistant GM

"Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »

With all that experience, we still don't have a clue as to how to play a football game.  We could have learned a lot from WSSU.
shrug

Well, to be honest, WSSU LOST to NCCU !!!!, Fight Song or Not
 nod lol nod clap

OK, carry On Eagle Family !!!  hugs

Take Care!

On NCCU Wings of "Eagles Up - Soaring High" With Eagle Pride Amplified!  

Eagles Fan Forum
Sound Machine
Alumni Eagles
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »

I really couldn't make out what you posted.  This post is not about homecoming, it is about the WSSU's game.  WSSU's band played most of the first quarter backing their team.  But you are telling me that NCCU was not allowed to play?  Or are we still having problems with being told when to play?  Darn, I still hear that SU's fight song in my ears.  With all that experience, we still don't have a clue as to how to play a football game.  We could have learned a lot from WSSU.

Lol @ "learned alot from WSSU." Like what? Serious question. But anyway I just explained to you why the MSM didnt play, I dont know what you dont understand about not allowed to play. Also, you will not question my directors ability to run a band program, watch that.
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »

I responded off of what you posted .  One post you said the band doesn't play because they were allowed to practice twice a week. Anyway, I love the SM and wiil support them on their fundraising.

WSSUGuy
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 10:09:04 AM »

4.Our marching band does not travel anymore because Chancellor Reaves felt that they do not assist in recruitment.  However, we have found out the band is larger than it has ever been.  Furthermore, commitments for the future put the band at over two hundred.  I am no genius but I am a former band member and that represents more students wanting to go to  WSSU to play in the band.

RamsHouse

WSSU has a very fine Band this year. I am just getting back from the NCCU vs. WSSU Game. Everyone on this Board knows how much of an HBCU "Bandhead" I am. I was VERY impressed with WSSU's Marching Band today. Your current Band Director has done an outstanding job in rebuilding your very outstanding Band.  clap bow clap

If they don't travel any longer, it is a Damn Shame, because People are missing a very Good Marching Band Product and lots of very good positive exposure for WSSU.

Good Luck to WSSU and please do not allow that man "Outsider"  to destroy your very fine Band Program nor allow him to drive away your very excellent Band Director.

Just my two cents and appreciation of what I saw and heard against my very Dear NCCU "Marching Sound Machine", today. It was an honor to have a very Good Band Challenge today.

Good Luck to WSSU and The RAM Nation. WSSU belongs in the same Conference as its largest State Rivals, (NCCU & NCA&T) no doubt in my mind.

Take Care!

Well I think the "Pride of the CIAA" 1970s-80s, oopps "The Red Sea of Sound" will travel just as much if not more because the distance to games in the CIAA will not be as great. How many MEAC bands travel to every single away game?? FAMU ain't traveling too many places unless they get paid to do so. Back in the CIAA WSSU can do day trips VA/NC and come back the same day! Hotel expense and long bus rides to Delaware and Florida and DC/Maryland should not be a factor.

There probably was a time when people paid to watch a marching band. But seriously with $20 tickets there has to be some winning going on--on the gridiron. In terms of competing with A&T and NCCU I believe WSSU will still be a mainstay on both schedules because revenue dictates such.
PharoahNupe94
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »

4.Our marching band does not travel anymore because Chancellor Reaves felt that they do not assist in recruitment.  However, we have found out the band is larger than it has ever been.  Furthermore, commitments for the future put the band at over two hundred.  I am no genius but I am a former band member and that represents more students wanting to go to  WSSU to play in the band.

RamsHouse

WSSU has a very fine Band this year. I am just getting back from the NCCU vs. WSSU Game. Everyone on this Board knows how much of an HBCU "Bandhead" I am. I was VERY impressed with WSSU's Marching Band today. Your current Band Director has done an outstanding job in rebuilding your very outstanding Band.  clap bow clap

If they don't travel any longer, it is a Damn Shame, because People are missing a very Good Marching Band Product and lots of very good positive exposure for WSSU.

Good Luck to WSSU and please do not allow that man "Outsider"  to destroy your very fine Band Program nor allow him to drive away your very excellent Band Director.

Just my two cents and appreciation of what I saw and heard against my very Dear NCCU "Marching Sound Machine", today. It was an honor to have a very Good Band Challenge today.

Good Luck to WSSU and The RAM Nation. WSSU belongs in the same Conference as its largest State Rivals, (NCCU & NCA&T) no doubt in my mind.

Take Care!

Well I think the "Pride of the CIAA" 1970s-80s, oopps "The Red Sea of Sound" will travel just as much if not more because the distance to games in the CIAA will not be as great. How many MEAC bands travel to every single away game?? FAMU ain't traveling too many places unless they get paid to do so. Back in the CIAA WSSU can do day trips VA/NC and come back the same day! Hotel expense and long bus rides to Delaware and Florida and DC/Maryland should not be a factor.

There probably was a time when people paid to watch a marching band. But seriously with $20 tickets there has to be some winning going on--on the gridiron. In terms of competing with A&T and NCCU I believe WSSU will still be a mainstay on both schedules because revenue dictates such.

nod

PharoahNupe94
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 11:53:42 AM »

RamsHouse

Take Care!

clap McGrudger has done a very good job with "The Read Sea". We still need to work on our song selection.

PharoahNupe94
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 02:07:24 PM »

My problem is, the next dirctor is going to come in and have problems with the riffs.  Our fight song is not as bad as you may think.  Yes the words may need to be changed, but I love hearing it.  I guess because I am a college sports fan and most colleges fight songs are played often during games.  This is not the case with most hbcus.  I'm so glad song was my favorite, but I bet you that current dirctor has a problem with that song. 

If I had a vote, I will say keep the fight song.   

I HAVE TO ADMIT.  I LIKE IT WHEN NCCU PLAY THE RIFF  Shocked
IT'S HOTT

tiptoe Excuse  me while to go the restroom to vommit  Lips Sealed

Oldschoolram
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »

Hey Guy,

Hopefully that WILL change.  We didn't go to every game in my day.  In fact one year we missed to "staple" road trips due to Male Chorus tour.  There is no need for the band to need a hotel.  The bus is your hotel.  We creative folks came up with some very interesting sleeping arrangements on those late nighters or long day trips.

No matter where we traveled back in the day or what time we played we never stayed overnight, except for the year we marched in the Afro American Day Parade in NYC back in________. Cheesy We had to play our game the night before, leave after doing half-time and "run" back to campus to catch the buses waiting for you.  Let's say the trip gave a brand new meaning to "Make It Funky!"  We rolled off the buses parked our stuff at the hotel jumped back on the bus to do the parade.  We spent the night then.

Pages: 1st 1 [2] 3 4 » Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News