Quantcast
NCCU/WSSU Bands
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:16:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Access the Fan Forum through your mobile phone at http://mobff.onnidan.com.  Bookmark this URL for future mobile access.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  On the Sidelines and In The Stands
| | | |-+  NCCU/WSSU Bands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: NCCU/WSSU Bands  (Read 8883 times)
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:20:57 PM »

This is going to be difficult for me to post.  Thank goodness Cally is not around anymore. lol  SU, you really surprised me today.  The first half was exactly what I been wanting to experience at our games.  I love the way you guys played your fight song to death durning the first half.  You really supported your team and had the crowd into the game.  You were the 12th man on the field until the 2nd half Central dragged you guys into those boring sectional battles, which you lost. nono2

Here is my take on the game:

School spirit- WSSU (you guys know when and what to play to encourage your team)
Stands- WSSU (Song seclections were better)
Halftime- WSSU (but not by far)
Sectionals- NCCU (Eagles won them all)
5th- WSSU (Coming to America did it)
Sound- NCCU
Overall- WSSU (today only)

Don't get me wrong, the Sound Machine did not do bad. It's just that Winston's band director knows how to play a football game.   

Great job Winston.

Whether great or small, victory is victory!
Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
Assistant GM

"Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:09:55 PM »

4.Our marching band does not travel anymore because Chancellor Reaves felt that they do not assist in recruitment.  However, we have found out the band is larger than it has ever been.  Furthermore, commitments for the future put the band at over two hundred.  I am no genius but I am a former band member and that represents more students wanting to go to  WSSU to play in the band.

RamsHouse

WSSU has a very fine Band this year. I am just getting back from the NCCU vs. WSSU Game. Everyone on this Board knows how much of an HBCU "Bandhead" I am. I was VERY impressed with WSSU's Marching Band today. Your current Band Director has done an outstanding job in rebuilding your very outstanding Band.  clap bow clap

If they don't travel any longer, it is a Damn Shame, because People are missing a very Good Marching Band Product and lots of very good positive exposure for WSSU.

Good Luck to WSSU and please do not allow that man "Outsider"  to destroy your very fine Band Program nor allow him to drive away your very excellent Band Director.

Just my two cents and appreciation of what I saw and heard against my very Dear NCCU "Marching Sound Machine", today. It was an honor to have a very Good Band Challenge today.

Good Luck to WSSU and The RAM Nation. WSSU belongs in the same Conference as its largest State Rivals, (NCCU & NCA&T) no doubt in my mind.

Take Care!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:09:37 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba » Logged

On NCCU Wings of "Eagles Up - Soaring High" With Eagle Pride Amplified!  

Eagles Fan Forum
Sound Machine
Alumni Eagles
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »

4.Our marching band does not travel anymore because Chancellor Reaves felt that they do not assist in recruitment.  However, we have found out the band is larger than it has ever been.  Furthermore, commitments for the future put the band at over two hundred.  I am no genius but I am a former band member and that represents more students wanting to go to  WSSU to play in the band.

RamsHouse

WSSU has a very fine Band this year. I am just getting back from the NCCU vs. WSSU Game. Everyone on this Board knows how much of an HBCU "Bandhead" I am. I was VERY impressed with WSSU's Marching Band today. Your current Band Director has done an outstanding job in rebuilding your very outstanding Band.  clap bow clap

If they don't travel any longer, it is a Damn Shame, because People are mising a very Good Marching Band Product and lots of very good positive exposure for WSSU.

Good Luck to WSSU and please do not allow that man "Outsider"  to destroy your very fine Band Program nor allow him to drive away your very excellent Band Director.

Just my two cents and appreciation of what I saw and heard against my very Dear NCCU "Marching Sound Machine", today. It was an honor to have a very Good Band Challenge today.

Good Luck to WSSU and The RAM Nation. WSSU belongs in the same Conference as its largest State Rivals, (NCCU & NCA&T) no doubt in my mind.

Take Care!

clap

DJTheRealist
Assistant GM

Mr. Fierce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28:50 AM »

I agree WSSU def had a nice crisp sound...When they played GET UP.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKKezaA606o I was def crunk on NCCU's side when it was playing....Then out of no where MSM plays HAY (in the middle of the barn) and it was a rap from there...But not before the Rift..for the black folks was played...It's the finishing move...Not sure what was going on during the 1st quarter with the MSM I thought they would he responded with a few songs....Overall great showing by the MSM....I hate the 5th quarter was cut short....Oh well...I hope Savannah State brings their band Saturday...No marching bands have been to O'Kelly since the turf has been installed....

Co-Founder of the NCCU Screaming Eagles...Don't Mess With The Flock!!!
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:55:50 AM »

I agree WSSU def had a nice crisp sound...When they played GET UP.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKKezaA606o I was def crunk on NCCU's side when it was playing....Then out of no where MSM plays HAY (in the middle of the barn) and it was a rap from there...But not before the Rift..for the black folks was played...It's the finishing move...Not sure what was going on during the 1st quarter with the MSM I thought they would he responded with a few songs....Overall great showing by the MSM....I hate the 5th quarter was cut short....Oh well...I hope Savannah State brings their band Saturday...No marching bands have been to O'Kelly since the turf has been installed....

The first half is the only reason I gave Winston the W.  I was so excited when the Sound Machine played "hey." 

The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green
Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:34:16 PM »

This is going to be difficult for me to post.  Thank goodness Cally is not around anymore. lol  SU, you really surprised me today.  The first half was exactly what I been wanting to experience at our games.  I love the way you guys played your fight song to death durning the first half.  You really supported your team and had the crowd into the game.  You were the 12th man on the field until the 2nd half Central dragged you guys into those boring sectional battles, which you lost. nono2

Has anyone noticed that the Sound Machine has not played the NCCU Fight Song for at least the last 2 games.  After TDs they play "NCCU - Side of the Neck",  but not the fight song.   shrug   shrug   Huh?

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:24:47 AM »

Has anyone noticed that the Sound Machine has not played the NCCU Fight Song for at least the last 2 games.  After TDs they play "NCCU - Side of the Neck",  but not the fight song.   shrug   shrug   Huh?

Yes I noticed it and was a little disturb about it.   Winston played theirs often during the game.  It's called school pride.  Also no school song after the game.

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:35:24 AM »

Not sure what was going on during the 1st quarter with the MSM I thought they would he responded with a few songs....

werent allowed to play...you know so the football team can do their thing
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »

Not sure what was going on during the 1st quarter with the MSM I thought they would he responded with a few songs....

werent allowed to play...you know so the football team can do their thing

You weren't allowed to play? shrug  I just don't believe that.  There is a time that the band should and shouldn't play.  If you have a problem with finding out when to play, it may be best not to play at all. 

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
Assistant GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 12:02:45 AM »

This is going to be difficult for me to post.  Thank goodness Cally is not around anymore. lol  SU, you really surprised me today.  The first half was exactly what I been wanting to experience at our games.  I love the way you guys played your fight song to death durning the first half.  You really supported your team and had the crowd into the game.  You were the 12th man on the field until the 2nd half Central dragged you guys into those boring sectional battles, which you lost. nono2

Has anyone noticed that the Sound Machine has not played the NCCU Fight Song for at least the last 2 games.  After TDs they play "NCCU - Side of the Neck",  but not the fight song.   shrug   shrug   Huh?

Let's just tell the truth regarding my personal feelings about "Fighting Eagles".  I for one don't like the official NCCU fight song very much. Apparently, most of our fellow NCCU Alumni, Students and Fans don't like it as well, nor do they join the Band in singing the words to it.

Now, don't take my word for it, just ask our fellow NCCU Alumni, Students and Fans that you know, how many actually know the words to the NCCU "Fighting Eagles" song or sing along with the Band, when the "Sound Machine" Plays it.

If it were left up to me, (which it is not) I would have that song re-arranged and made to be more "Eagle Fan"  Friendly, so more "Eagle" Fans would enjoy joining in and singing it. But, it is what it is (like it or not).

Truth Be Told, I still miss a very nice NCCU musical arrangement of "I'm So Glad" !

Any suggestions on how we can get more "Eagle Fans" to show more of an interest in learning and enjoy singing "Fighting Eagles"?

Just Asking?

Take Care!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:09:27 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba » Logged

Eagles Fan Forum
Sound Machine
Alumni Eagles
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »

This is going to be difficult for me to post.  Thank goodness Cally is not around anymore. lol  SU, you really surprised me today.  The first half was exactly what I been wanting to experience at our games.  I love the way you guys played your fight song to death durning the first half.  You really supported your team and had the crowd into the game.  You were the 12th man on the field until the 2nd half Central dragged you guys into those boring sectional battles, which you lost. nono2

Has anyone noticed that the Sound Machine has not played the NCCU Fight Song for at least the last 2 games.  After TDs they play "NCCU - Side of the Neck",  but not the fight song.   shrug   shrug   Huh?

Let's just tell the truth regarding my personal feelings about "Fighting Eagles".  I for one don't like the official NCCU fight song very much. Apparently, most of our fellow NCCU Alumni, Students and Fans don't like it as well, nor do they join the Band in singing the words to it.

Now, don't take my word for it, just ask our fellow NCCU Alumni, Students and Fans that you know, how many actually know the words to the NCCU "Fighting Eagles" song or sing along with the Band, when the "Sound Machine" Plays it.

If it were left up to me, (which it is not) I would have that song re-arranged and made to be more "Eagle Fan"  Friendly, so more "Eagle" Fans would enjoy joining in and singing it. But, it is what it is (like it or not).

Truth Be Told, I still miss a very nice NCCU musical arrangement of "I'm So Glad" !

Any suggestions on how we can get more "Eagle Fans" to show more of an interest in learning and enjoy singing "Fighting Eagles"?

Just Asking?

Take Care!

We have a nice fight song if you ask me.  How can we as fans don't like the fight song?  The problem is we have a fight song without pride.  Most fight songs sound alike to me.  It shouldn't be a matter of like or dislike, but pride.  Coaches should excite the players when they hear that tune.  I think people would enjoy the fight song if it is played at the right times.  But I do like rock the house better after touch downs. 

The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green
Assistant GM

#1 NCCU Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 09:18:15 PM »

The fight song is not played very much.  It is only played during football season and never during basketball season.  No one has ever given a copy of the words to the fans.  I have never seen it posted on the NCCU website.  Posting it on this forum will not get the majority of the alumni, fans, and students to learn the words.  If it were played often during football and basketball seasons fans may stand up and clap to it.

If you attend a game that includes Southern University you will hear their fight song over and over and over during the game.  And most of time it is part of their halftime show.   At a Southern University game you will see those gold pom poms being shaken when their fight song is played.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY
Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
Assistant GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »

So, who's job is it to hand out the words of "Fighting Eagles" to get Students, Alumni and Fans to Sing It?

The Band has more than done its Job, by playing it when they do.

As said before, very often, there is very little response from the Fans, even getting up out of their seats and clapping their hands to the beat, even if they don't know the words.

On the Other hand, NCCU fans do get up and are most often very hyped with "Neck" and NCCU's Riff 1, 2 and 3. Now, why do most NCCU Fans like those NCCU "Spirit" songs and dislike "Fighting Eagles" so much in your opinion?

Just asking?

We are The Fighting Eagles
Our majesty will soar high

There's victory for you and me
when we show our Eagle Pride

Fight Fight!!

Our mighty campus we have here
Our spirits will ring free

For we are the Fighting Eagles

Dear Old NCC

WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS?
http://nccueagles.yuku.com/topic/1892

Take Care!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:39:33 PM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba » Logged

Eagles Fan Forum
Sound Machine
Alumni Eagles
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 11:16:56 PM »

So, who's job is it to hand out the words of "Fighting Eagles" to get Students, Alumni and Fans to Sing It?

The Band has more than done its Job, by playing it when they do.

As said before, very often, there is very little response from the Fans, even getting up out of their seats and clapping their hands to the beat, even if they don't know the words.

On the Other hand, NCCU fans do get up and are most often very hyped with "Neck" and NCCU's Riff 1, 2 and 3. Now, why do most NCCU Fans like those NCCU "Spirit" songs and dislike "Fighting Eagles" so much in your opinion?

Just asking?

We are The Fighting Eagles
Our majesty will soar high

There's victory for you and me
when we show our Eagle Pride

Fight Fight!!

Our mighty campus we have here
Our spirits will ring free

For we are the Fighting Eagles

Dear Old NCC

WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS?
http://nccueagles.yuku.com/topic/1892

Take Care!

Spirit songs are nice, but the fight song should be about tradiction and pride.  100 years from now, we should hear that same fight song.  As Slope stated, if it was played more at basketball games, fans would have learn to appreaciate it.  UNC has about 3 or 4 spirit songs, but have great pride in their fight song.  When you need to raise $400,000, you should be making as many alumni happy.  Let UNC or State go a game without their fight songs.  We were hired by FSU to play their's.  If we spend time with the "Greek" show during the games, we can find time to hype up our players. 

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
Assistant GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 01:44:12 AM »

I hear you. But, to be very honest, "Fighting Eagles" NEVER has caught on at NCCU, even years before the current Band Director became Band Director at NCCU.

"Fighting Eagles" has been around since the early 1990's and to be honest, that song never did catch on with our students, fans and Alumni at NCCU.  We all know this. Come to think of it, the term "Fighting Eagles" has never caught on at NCCU, as well.  

Sloping Hills reminds us all of the time, where the term "Fighting Eagles" comes from, via Coach Bishop Harris' short LOSING tenure, as Head NCCU football Coach in the early 1990's. Bishop Harris never caught on with NCCU Fans and his term "Fighting Eagles" never Caught On as well,  still to this day. So, the "Fighting Eagles" Fight Song has never caught on, in my opinion. Three other NCCU Band Directors played that song, before Mr. Reid became Band Director, and it has never been a big hit at NCCU, over the last 15+ years or so.

As I said before, maybe it should be re-written or something. That song is just too boring and it just does not flow very well for an HBCU crowd. It just doesn't, in my opinion.  Just because it was written in very good faith by someone, does not mean it is the correct song that everyone will adopt to.

Just my personal opinion, but I respect all others. Trust me when I say, I want our Fans hyped and the Band wants our Fans hyped as much as possible. But sadly, the current Fight Song falls very short of the mark in its current musical arrangement and wording.

To me, the following wording in  the FIGHT song needs to be changed to something else. It just does not say anything about "TEAM VICTORY and PRIDE".

"Our mighty campus we have here
Our spirits will ring free"

The meaning somehow gets lost and throws the whole song off, in my opinion, and people don't remember it as an emotional and prideful means to express School Spirit, in the STRUGGLE to obtain excellence in VICTORY from the heart.

You guys know lots more about Music than I could ever learn in 100 years, and I respect you all for your talent and skills. However, that song has never rung a clear bell with me and apparently has not awaken about 75% of our other "Eagle" Fans, as well.

When has been the last time you have ever seen or heard our Athletes and Cheerleaders sing it and believe in it from the heart?

That song is like the Ford Edsel that never caught on with the American Car Market, for some reason.

When "I'm So Glad" was replaced with "Fighting Eagles" as the NCCU Fight Song, something died regarding our musically expressed "School Spirit" and Fight Song, that NCCU Fans could identify with, for a long time, until Neck and the NCCU "Riffs" one came out.

When the Sound Machine started to play the NCCU RIFF, it became the NCCU Identity. When People hear the NCCU Riff #1, 2, or 3 played, they know it is NCCU - All Over !!!

Most people can Not carry the "Fighting Eagles" tune spontaneously  in their heads.

Not every tune or school "Fight Song" catches on, no matter how hard one tries to force it on people.

It is just like some songs in Church.  Some Songs just don't get the spirit to flow as well, as some other songs do. No matter how hard the choir Leadership leads out with that song, the folks in the pews may not enjoy singing it, even with the song books provided for them to learn the words.

Take Care!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:43:53 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba » Logged

Eagles Fan Forum
Sound Machine
Alumni Eagles
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News