News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Anniversary of Malcolm X's birth  (Read 74 times)

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Anniversary of Malcolm X's birth
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »
Back in the day I was so much more into Malcolm than Martin. I just couldn't get into that turn the other cheek thing.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • النصر لنا
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
Back in the day I was so much more into Malcolm than Martin. I just couldn't get into that turn the other cheek thing.

Thing is, Martin got everything he wanted as long as he was alive. He literally had to be killed to be stopped from putting an early end to the Vietnam/Cambodia wars.

Malcolm achieved nothing. The Nation of Islam outlived him, The Honorable Elijah Muhammed is still widely loved, the organizations he himself started all were dead by 1970.

Nonviolent always trumps violence.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »
Malcolm X did play a part in the Selma movement in 1965.  He felt that the Nation of Islam should play a bigger part in the Civil Rights movement.  It was felt by many that it is better to deal with the civil rights activists than the more "radical" elements of Black activists of whom Malcolm X represented.

I say that because I felt that he also played a part in the equality movement, which was a movement for equal treatment under the law.  Some have said that the constitution was re-written with the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments.  Many activists referred to those amendment during the protests of the 1950s and '60s.

I am just adding a little of my two cents.

----------

Power vs. Equality: Malcolm X Sought Not to Change America But to Change Black People
By Kamau Franklin - May 19, 2017

Today, May 19, marks what would’ve been Malcolm X’s 92nd birthday. It also marks an appropriate time in the history of Black America to think about the ideological paradigm shift Malcolm ushered in during the 1960s that still holds some sway over a significant portion of those who are left-leaning organizers and social justice advocates. Enough sway that, even if not practiced by said leaders, it must be acknowledged as a touchstone of Black political thought.

Through his organizing, speeches and posthumously published autobiography, Malcolm almost single-handedly re-popularized the ideas of self-sufficiency, self-determination and Black nationalism. Malcolm X did not invent the concepts he espoused, those were learned from his parents as followers of Marcus Garvey, from his study in prison and, later, as the architect of the Nation of Islam’s growth under Elijah Muhammad.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »
Not Just A 'Black Thing': An Asian-American's Bond With Malcolm X

August 19, 20133:05 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
HANSI LO WANG

==========

==========