News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Hampton President Slams ‘The Quad’ in Letter to BET President  (Read 704 times)

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • Pinkies Up!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hampton President Slams ‘The Quad’ in Letter to BET President
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »
 I agree with several points in the letter. While i understand it is entertainment, just like Scandal or 24....i feel that there could have been better themes shown/discussed.

Bands and athletic teams are huge at HBCU's and hazing does happen.... but what about going to class? Kids struggling to get their financial aid in tact so they can stay? Beign away from home for the first time?? Where is the "Real" stuff? I was hoping for more of a Different World type of show....with each episode being able to stand alone and address a variety of issues. For some kids, they will see this and think... oh yeah....time to go to an HBCU!! #partytime and others may think, i dont want to be in that environment. For those that aren't fortunate to get exposed to other things, this is there first impression of an HBCU and in my eyes, it is not a positive one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:51:22 AM by j1908 »
Don't quit and always show class.I'm playing offense try to stop me

Gotta watch my back because I'm not just anybody.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »
I agree with several points in the letter. While i understand it is entertainment, just like Scandal or 24....i feel that there could have been better themes shown/discussed.

Bands and athletic teams are huge at HBCU's and hazing does happen.... but what about going to class? Kids struggling to get their financial aid in tact so they can stay? Beign away from home for the first time?? Where is the "Real" stuff? I was hoping for more of a Different World type of show....with each episode being able to stand alone and address a variety of issues. For some kids, they will see this and think... oh yeah....time to go to an HBCU!! #partytime and others may think, i dont want to be in that environment. For those that aren't fortunate to get exposed to other things, this is there first impression of an HBCU and in my eyes, it is not a positive one.

What's even worse from what I've read the creators are HBCU grads.

Stereotypes are so easy but as everyone on this board knows you can party but when those grades slip and you're out.

Offline LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
Well I hate to tell you but I know a gay dude who was president of a hbcu that was screwing his student. Keep it real it happens. In fact the governor of this bottom state only above Sippi said and I quote his exact words to the board of trustees was " Y'all didn't tell me y'all had a d a m a q@@r running the school in this great state of A*#@@ma............... They were on the balcony kissing and folks saw it. I'll give you a hint rockets in the city...............

We sure do know him, don't we ceedog.    :nod:
Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

Online WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »

Stereotypes are so easy but as everyone on this board knows you can party but when those grades slip and you're out.

Rob Hardy and Anika Noni Rose both went to FAMU.  Even in the first season of College Hill, they showed the students going to class.   :lol:

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »

THIS is the most damning part about it.

that's all... 

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 10:21:36 AM »
He's got a point. 

The financial issues and trustee stuff I can deal with - and I knew going in that you have to suspend some reality when watching this.   My biggest issue is the President screwing a student.   That's too much for me.  Stuff like that doesn't stay hidden for long - it is highly unethical and she would be on the first thing smoking.   In actuality she would have never been hired as a President.  She "might" have gotten a VP Position or some figurehead hookup (maybe), but you can't be anybody's President PWC or HBCU. 

I actually like her character and I like the show - but that whole screwing a student irks me.  I hope they wrap that up quickly.  The notion that it is acceptable at an HBCU bugs me.

Whose to say that President-Student relations won't make it public in the current storyline. And apparently, the writers are kinda on an art imtidiating life tip.

Then it probably still won't be realistic.  If it becomes public knowledge and she doesn't resign or isn't walked off of campus then I call bullsh@t.  That's the ONLY plausible scenario.   

Look I'm not saying that faculty - student relationships don't happen - I can think of two couples off the top of my head that were in a professor / student relationship - and each of the couples have been married over 50 years now.  Heck Three now that I think about it.

I also remember a certain professor that frequented the apartment complex I lived in my junior year.  I would be headed to my 8:00 class and so would he.   We'd give each other the head nod and be on our way.  :lol:   

But that was Dr.  _________, that wasn't Dr.  Prater (President when I was in undergrad).  Had I seen Oscar Prater leaving a chick's apartment it would have been an entirely different narrative.

With that being said, it is still a pretty entertaining show.   Some stuff makes no sense (like a Heismam trophy candidate playing against an HBCU and the HBCU is the home team), but again o can look past certain inaccuracies.

Maybe he was just doing some tutoring.  See...you just assumed he was being nasty.  He was just over there listing the veil of ignorance off of one your classmates.  IJS

Sad! (lol)

Yeah, like a certain ME prof that used to hold private tutoring sessions in his office for certain females.....

:lmao:

That dude used to live in BHM and saw him in Park West one weekend with her....and we was like damn, this mug is wild...

Golden Showers Loving potus Making AmeriKKKa Great Again!

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »
He's got a point. 

The financial issues and trustee stuff I can deal with - and I knew going in that you have to suspend some reality when watching this.   My biggest issue is the President screwing a student.   That's too much for me.  Stuff like that doesn't stay hidden for long - it is highly unethical and she would be on the first thing smoking.   In actuality she would have never been hired as a President.  She "might" have gotten a VP Position or some figurehead hookup (maybe), but you can't be anybody's President PWC or HBCU. 

I actually like her character and I like the show - but that whole screwing a student irks me.  I hope they wrap that up quickly.  The notion that it is acceptable at an HBCU bugs me.

Whose to say that President-Student relations won't make it public in the current storyline. And apparently, the writers are kinda on an art imtidiating life tip.

Then it probably still won't be realistic.  If it becomes public knowledge and she doesn't resign or isn't walked off of campus then I call bullsh@t.  That's the ONLY plausible scenario.   

Look I'm not saying that faculty - student relationships don't happen - I can think of two couples off the top of my head that were in a professor / student relationship - and each of the couples have been married over 50 years now.  Heck Three now that I think about it.

I also remember a certain professor that frequented the apartment complex I lived in my junior year.  I would be headed to my 8:00 class and so would he.   We'd give each other the head nod and be on our way.  :lol:   

But that was Dr.  _________, that wasn't Dr.  Prater (President when I was in undergrad).  Had I seen Oscar Prater leaving a chick's apartment it would have been an entirely different narrative.

With that being said, it is still a pretty entertaining show.   Some stuff makes no sense (like a Heismam trophy candidate playing against an HBCU and the HBCU is the home team), but again o can look past certain inaccuracies.

Maybe he was just doing some tutoring.  See...you just assumed he was being nasty.  He was just over there listing the veil of ignorance off of one your classmates.  IJS

Sad! (lol)

Yeah, like a certain ME prof that used to hold private tutoring sessions in his office for certain females.....

:lmao:

That dude used to live in BHM and saw him in Park West one weekend with her....and we was like damn, this mug is wild...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew......lololol.....if the engineering building or Huntington could talk!!

No snitching bruh...there is no statute of limitations on snitching unless he married her.  lol
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
Howard U school of Business Building late 80's:

Females student loudly yelling in the hall" I ***** you and ******** your **** and all I get was a "C".

Said professor" You did "C" work in the classroom and the bedroom". :tiptoe:

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 11:31:53 AM »
Man, when I was a Sophomore, I heard a story from one of our Aggie Greats about how a professor invited him to their home for some private tutoring back in the 1960's.

:tiptoe:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »
Howard U school of Business Building late 80's:

Females student loudly yelling in the hall" I ***** you and ******** your **** and all I get was a "C".

Said professor" You did "C" work in the classroom and the bedroom". :tiptoe:

I guess you got to do more than just pet it if you want a better grade.  :nod:

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »
Well I hate to tell you but I know a gay dude who was president of a hbcu that was screwing his student. Keep it real it happens. In fact the governor of this bottom state only above Sippi said and I quote his exact words to the board of trustees was " Y'all didn't tell me y'all had a d a m a q@@r running the school in this great state of A*#@@ma............... They were on the balcony kissing and folks saw it. I'll give you a hint rockets in the city...............

We sure do know him, don't we ceedog.    :nod:

:lol:
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline cee dog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 12:44:25 PM »
Has Dr. Harvey and the other arrogant blacks pinned a letter about HBCU administrators stealing us blind and being lazy decades?
"Bulldog for Life"

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »
The Black elites are pissed. This show is about to sleep with the fishes just like Sorority Sisters did.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
Chuck Hobbs response to the slam against The Quad...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1280197458728405&id=100002144882481
In defense of the BET show "The Quad"
(Black History Lesson #17)

By Chuck Hobbs, Esquire
2/17/17

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • Pinkies Up!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »
That was to dam long  :lol:
Don't quit and always show class.I'm playing offense try to stop me

Gotta watch my back because I'm not just anybody.

==========

==========

Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more