Quantcast
VSU Looks to End 23 Game Losing Skid to VUU
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 01:03:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Sports Forum
| | | |-+  VSU Looks to End 23 Game Losing Skid to VUU
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VSU Looks to End 23 Game Losing Skid to VUU  (Read 968 times)
TrueTrojan
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:03:48 PM »

Freedom Classic: VSU may surprise VUU

Classic schedule
18th Annual Freedom Classic
at the Richmond Coliseum
Doors open: 4 p.m. Freedom of Expression Art Exposé: 4:30 p.m. Drumline competition: 5 p.m. Thomas Jefferson, Highland Springs, Warren County, Phoebus and Bethel high schools Basketball:
 7 p.m. Virginia Union vs. Virginia State

For a long time, Virginia State has been chasing Virginia Union, in vain. Kind of like Wile E. Coyote never quite catching up with The Road Runner.

In what has become a classic basketball mismatch, VUU has defeated VSU 23 straight times, dating back to 2002.

This go-round could offer a different result, however.

The Trojans appear to be closing the gap.

When the CIAA rivals tip off Sun- day at 7 p.m. in the annual Freedom
Classic at the Richmond Coliseum, VSU is likely to be cast in the unusual role of favorite.
Under second-year coach Luqman Jabber, VUU is 3-10 following a 65-57 loss at Saint Augustine’s on Monday. Making matters worse — the Panthers’ best player, 6-foot-7 Damion Harris, has been sidelined for academics.

Harris was All-CIAA last year and was leading the Panthers in scoring (17.6 per game) and rebounding (7.9 per game) before losing his eligibility earlier this month.

With Harris removed from the roster, VUU is led by Calvin Brown, Wes Simmons, Juan Wilson and Michael Wynn, all averaging about 8 points a night.

VSU, 7-8 starting this week under second-year coach Darryl Jacobs, is paced by Kenny Mitchell, a 6-foot- 8 senior post player averaging 14.2 points and 5.2 boards per game.

Senior point guard Mike Bynum, a four-year starter and one of the few survivors from the ill-fated George White coaching era, averages 11.1 points per game and leads the
Trojans in minutes played per game with 30.2.

This is the first time in several seasons that VUU and VSU haven’t first played during December in the Big Apple Classic at Madison Square Garden. The Classic was not held last month.

The second VUU-VSU game this season will be Feb. 9 at VCU’s Siegel Center. A possible third meeting could come in the CIAA tournament in Charlotte, Feb. 25 to March 2.

VUU and VSU have not played on each other’s campus since 2004

VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY-"THE" University of Virginia.
Jumbo97
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »

I can't imagine when Union ever played VState on campus.  That 7 pm start keeps me from coming down for game but will be at BSU on the 23rd.  Does anyone know the overall series record?  So d@mn hard to be a Panther!
vuu06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

SAD.........JUST SAD! At 3-10 VUU has the worst record in the CIAA..... shrug
punchy
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »

I never thought I'd live to see the day when VUU sucked at basketball. This is a travesty for VUU. What's the problem at VUU?

TrueTrojan
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »

I never thought I'd live to see the day when VUU sucked at basketball. This is a travesty for VUU. What's the problem at VUU?

I also thought I'd never live to see the day that the US elected an African American President.  But, I'm glad to say that I've lived to see both!  But, while Obama found a way to win (twice!), just watch, State will find a way to lose (twice). Please, please, TROJANS, prove me wrong!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:59:06 PM by TrueTrojan » Logged

vuu06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »

COACHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Sad
TrueTrojan
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »

Virginia State-70
Virginia Union-65

The drought is OVER!!!  Go, STATE!!!

eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:10:59 PM »

Congrats VSU.

Whether great or small, victory is victory!
Jumbo97
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:48:01 PM »

COACHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Sad

There is something extremely wrong at the very top of the Athletic operations decision making positions. 
TrueTrojan
Assistant GM

Assistant Coach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 07:22:31 AM »

VSU captures Freedom Classic
Trojans win annual meeting with Panthers for first time in 11 years

VIRGINIA STATE 70,VIRGINIA UNION 65

Freedom Classic

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 12:16 am, Mon Jan 21, 2013.
BY CHRIS HARRIS Richmond Times-Dispatch
There was no dramatics. The streak just ended.
After 23 straight games, Virginia State finally changed its luck by beating Virginia Union 70-65 Sunday night in the Freedom Classic.

“This is a very emotional game. It’s very special, not only to the program but the university as a whole,” VSU coach Darryl Jacobs said. “There are a lot happy alumni out there.
“Having won the Freedom Classic but one time since its inception, and now to have the trophy back at our place is very special to us.”
The Trojans were led by senior guard Mike Bynum, who scored 18 points on 6-of-8 shooting. He had five assists and three steals. This win marked the first for Bynum over Union in his career.
“It’s a good win. We haven’t beaten them in 11 years. I’m the first in 11 years to beat them, so it feels real good,” Bynum said.
Kenny Mitchell scored 14 points and had 10 rebounds for VSU.
“I knew the stakes of the game,” Mitchell said. “I was really devoted to playing defense tonight, because defense wins games. So I just did all I could do to help the team win.”
Statistically, the game was even. Union shot 50 percent to VSU’s 47.8; VSU scored 24 points in the paint to Union’s 22; and VSU had 22 points off of turnovers to Union’s 20.
The difference came at the foul line, where the Trojans hit 20 of 31 and the Panthers were 15 of 24.
On the boards, VSU had the advantage, 33-21.
“I just thought overall, they played harder than us. They seemed a lot hungrier than we did on the court,” Panthers coach Luqman Jaaber said.
The Panthers were led by Calvin Brown’s 13 points and former Hermitage player Wesley Simmons, who had 12 points and five rebounds.
“I thought I played OK. I thought I could have played better,” Simmons said.
“I believe that I could have been more active. I feel like we could have played better as a team, especially on the defensive end and rebounding.”
After being tied at halftime, the game stayed close through the first six minutes of the second half. Then John Holleman scored on a three-point play with 13:25 left to give the Trojans a seven-point advantage and control the rest of the way.
“We didn’t talk about the streak, because each season is different. You don’t play on paper. You don’t play on history. You go out and play the game. So the streak doesn’t hold any bearing to us,” said Jaaber.
“We’re upset because it was a division game. Right now, we want to win the division.
clharris@timesdispatch.com
(804) 649-6563

EPJr
Assistant GM

So Proud 2B a Panther; da Raider Nation; DCU4Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:28:45 PM »

Virginia State-70
Virginia Union-65

The drought is OVER!!!  Go, STATE!!!

congrats
10 more to go!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News