Quantcast
Florida A&M starts new search for band director
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 05:54:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | | |-+  Florida A&M starts new search for band director
« previous next »
Pages: 1st « 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 » Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Florida A&M starts new search for band director  (Read 3431 times)
BlitzingEagle
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 11:22:36 PM »

Reid is STILL the band director at NCCU.

And Thinkingaboutit...it will all come out sooner or later. My bet is the News & Observer will break the story on our past leader. 
Thinkingaboutit
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »

Reid is STILL the band director at NCCU.

And Thinkingaboutit...it will all come out sooner or later. My bet is the News & Observer will break the story on our past leader.  
Sorry, my interest is  who's coming to enhance NCCU's future growth and development currently at a big cross road.  That excites me. No, I have no interest in muck raking dirt or a faux pas of past leader(s).  The sooner or later for me is what gift the Board of Trustees will bring for the Board of Governors approval.  I think all of our Chancellors did what was best for NCCU relative to the zeit-geist affecting us  globally during their tenure.  A position devoid of consensus satistaction.  Never get in a mud fight with a pig, you both get dirty but the pig likes it.  The N&O is selling papers, our BOT is continuing the building of Dr Shepards dream.  That sooner than later will continue.   By the way, I'm not a betting man.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:54:41 AM by Thinkingaboutit » Logged
BIG GRAY
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »

I guess he see that it is better to stay at NCCU.  He really rebuilt Central's band.  I am glad he is staying.  
I wouldn't say REBUILT but  CREATED a very good band.  I don't remember us ever having a GREAT band.  It was decent in the 60's and 70's but not Great.  It got better during the tenure of Chancellor Ammons under the direction of Jorim Reid.  FAMU may be a big problem in changing the culture and reducing the numbers in the band. I didn't realize the cost of moving and lodging that elephant to the university.  It is a lot of money.  They had a great product and will again in the future, but I don't think it will be 450 to 500 persons. That hedges on being too big and too costly.  

Yea, but FAMU's band made money for the school and also caused FAMU to be a household name.  For whatever reason Reid turned down the FAMU job, I am happy that he did.  

I have mixed emotions and thoughts about it. tiptoe

NCCU 2006 HBCU National Football Champs

NCCU 2007 HBCU National Women‘s Basketball Co-Champs
Cholly
Assistant GM

YES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »

Dr. Larry Robinson, FAMU Executive Staff, and Board of Trustees: Appoint Dr. Shelby R. Chipman as Director of Bands at FAMU

https://www.change.org/petitions/dr-larry-robinson-famu-executive-staff-and-board-of-trustees-appoint-dr-shelby-r-chipman-as-director-of-bands-at-famu-3

^^^The students are right.  nod clap nod

Dr. Chipman was cleared in 3 seperate, detailed, THOROUGH ivestigations... of ANY wrongdoing  or knowledge of wrongdoing in ANY of the problems the band has had over the last few years.

The mans integrity, knowledge, and leadership ability is ABOVE REPROACH.

The fact that he was NOT named Director of the Marching and Pep Bands should NOT preclude him from being made Director of Bands and Music Department Chairman, which I hope is still in the cards.

Thinkingaboutit
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2013, 06:39:08 AM »

Sounds like FAMU looked around and the man was there all the time.  Congratulations to the FAMU family and hope this is the start of a new beginning and culture, but a continuance of excellence in musicianship and performance.  Cholly , I think they made a very good selection.  There was no need to go outside when you are replete with band talent and leadership.  clap clap clap
BlitzingEagle
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

Sounds like FAMU looked around and the man was there all the time.  Congratulations to the FAMU family and hope this is the start of a new beginning and culture, but a continuance of excellence in musicianship and performance.  Cholly , I think they made a very good selection.  There was no need to go outside when you are replete with band talent and leadership.  clap clap clap

Did I miss something? Whey hired Chipman?
thatd@mnYOGI
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 02:45:05 AM »

I don't understand this process by Florida A&M. I do understand the hiring process because as a state university you must give equal opportunity to everyone, but what I don't understand is why would Florida A&M hire someone from the previous band staff that was apart of a death and criminal acts in the band's culture? When Dr. Rivers leave in June, all his cronies are going with him, if they haven't left prior to because we don't want any hold over from a failed regime of favoritism, financial mismanagement, and academic incompetence by him and his administration. Plus, the unwarranted negative publicity. I see no reason why Florida A&M continue to make these missteps in hiring a simple band director. This continues to be poor judgement on the part of the university and PR nightmare with the false announcements throughout the week. You all are so aggressive in putting that band back on the field this Fall, with those same students that are walking around on your campus that are awaiting to march, that is sad. I hope this does not become a setback for Florida A&M.

that's all...  no
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:28:01 AM by thatd@mnYOGI » Logged
Cholly
Assistant GM

YES!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

I don't understand this process by Florida A&M. I do understand the hiring process because as a state university you must give equal opportunity to everyone, but what I don't understand is why would Florida A&M hire someone from the previous band staff that was apart of a death and criminal acts in the band's culture? When Dr. Rivers leave in June, all his cronies are going with him, if they haven't left prior to because we don't want any hold over from a failed regime of favoritism, financial mismanagement, and academic incompetence by him and his administration. Plus, the unwarranted negative publicity. I see no reason why Florida A&M continue to make these missteps in hiring a simple band director. This continues to be poor judgement on the part of the university and PR nightmare with the false announcements throughout the week. You all are so aggressive in putting that band back on the field this Fall, with those same students that are walking around on your campus that are awaiting to march, that is sad. I hope this does not become a setback for Florida A&M.

that's all...  no
CLEARLY, you DO NOT understand a LOT of things.

First of all, Dr. Chipman has NOT been hired.

Second of all, Dr. Chipman HAS been cleared of ANY and ALL wrongdoing or Knowledge of such by THREE SEPERATE, INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATIONS.

Shelby Chipman is not only the most qualified person that could have applied for the job, but he is an individual of EXTREMELY high integrity.

BTW, those just aren't MY words, but in the OFFICIAL Florida Department of Law Enforcement Report of the Champion Investigation.  tiptoe

DRUMMA1
Assistant GM

"Hail, Hail To Thee..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 05:10:24 PM »

If they hire this dude, who was on staff while all this mess went down, FAMU is going to get exactly what they deserve.

Talk about a good old boy institution.  no

y04185
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »

that's all...  no
CLEARLY, you DO NOT understand a LOT of things.

First of all, Dr. Chipman has NOT been hired.

Second of all, Dr. Chipman HAS been cleared of ANY and ALL wrongdoing or Knowledge of such by THREE SEPERATE, INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATIONS.

Shelby Chipman is not only the most qualified person that could have applied for the job, but he is an individual of EXTREMELY high integrity.

BTW, those just aren't MY words, but in the OFFICIAL Florida Department of Law Enforcement Report of the Champion Investigation.  tiptoe

You don't hire this guy for the same reason the U.S. Army didn't make the commander of the 61st Ordnance Brigade the Commandant of the U.S. Army Ordnance School after that sex scandal in the 90s.  The 61st Brigade Commander and the 61st Brigade Command Sergeant Major were the only two to keep their jobs.  They both were cleared by CID and everyone else.  The CSM retired with over 30 years of honorable service.  If the U.S. Army can get it right why can't FAMU.

It is also too soon to put that band back together.  That band ain't the Blues Brothers. 

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

thatd@mnYOGI
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »

Clearly, Cholly, you're in denial. Why would he even be a candidate? Also, I didn't say you guys did hire him. I stated why would you hire a holdover from the previous staff.

that's all... Huh?
Cholly
Assistant GM

YES!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »

Huh?

What part of CLEARED OF ANY WRONGDOING OR KNOWLEDGE OF WRONGDOING do you NOT understand?  tiptoe

DRUMMA1
Assistant GM

"Hail, Hail To Thee..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 02:50:19 AM »

Huh?

What part of CLEARED OF ANY WRONGDOING OR KNOWLEDGE OF WRONGDOING do you NOT understand?  tiptoe

From a PR standpoint, it is a ill-advised move to ever hire or retain someone for a leadership position who was associated with the previous problem.  You are guilty by association.

FAMU continues to make ill-advised, good old boy decisions.

soflorattler
Assistant GM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 05:40:02 AM »

Huh?

From a PR standpoint, it is a ill-advised move to ever hire or retain someone for a leadership position who was associated with the previous problem.  You are guilty by association.

FAMU continues to make ill-advised, good old boy decisions.

Not sure if you know how it works in higher ed, but it is extremely difficult to fire a tenured professor. Especially when he/she has been investigated and cleared. Also, it creates all kind of legal issues for an institution when you deny them the opportunity to apply and interview for positions for which they are well qualified for. The court of public opinion has no bearing on the court of legal challenges....

Thinkingaboutit
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »

If he has been cleared of any wrong doing after a thorough investigation and is a capable replacement, WHY NOT? Do you place the same scrutiny on all members of the band, kick them out of school without the chance for getting their degrees because they knew the victims.   The bus driver and bus company should go out of business for someone who voluntarily accepted the culture of hazing and unfortunately became a victim his actions.  I don't think so!  We have an ongoing embezzlement case at NCCU that occurred during an interim Chancellors watch.  Should all person working at the University in an Administrative positions forever have besmirched character associated with actions of a few, which they had no knowledge. I don't think so! It has to stop somewhere and naming him as successor would affirm that the University is looking for the best person to lead the Marching 100 and to throw everybody associated with the school under the train, WRONG.  To ruin lives and finances of families forever over the activities students which are hard  to keep under wraps is WRONG.  Where does it end?  If wearing a FAMU sweat shirt is tantamount to being accessory to  death is ridiculous.    Some on this board will not be satisfied until the whole school close down and cease to exist.  Yes, some are THAT myopic.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:22:20 AM by Thinkingaboutit » Logged
Pages: 1st « 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 » Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News