Quantcast
ESPN admits Rob Parker’s RG3 comments were inappropriate
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 10:04:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Sports Forum
| | | |-+  ESPN admits Rob Parker’s RG3 comments were inappropriate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: ESPN admits Rob Parker’s RG3 comments were inappropriate  (Read 780 times)
THA_MAD_RAPPER
Assistant GM

SH*T TALKER

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:56 PM »

Several hours after an ESPN commentator questioned whether Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is authentically black, ESPN said those comments were out of line.

In a statement released by an ESPN spokesman, the network said, “The comments were inappropriate and we are evaluating our next steps.”

It will be interesting to see what those “next steps” are, and whether they lead to the commentator who made the comments, Rob Parker, to lose his job. When another ESPN commentator, Rush Limbaugh, made racially charged comments about another quarterback, Donovan McNabb, that ended up being the last day that Limbaugh appeared on ESPN’s NFL pregame show.

In Parker’s case, the comments would seem to be even further outside the bounds of what’s acceptable than Limbaugh’s claim that McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to promote a black quarterback. Parker went so far as to say that being engaged to a white woman somehow made Griffin “not really” black. That’s way, way outside the bounds of what’s generally considered an acceptable part of the discourse.

However, ESPN also has to shoulder plenty of the blame for Parker’s comments: The show Parker was appearing on, ESPN First Take,is specifically designed to provoke, and the comments from the show’s panelists, when they don’t flagrantly cross the line, frequently tiptoe right up next to the line. It’s also telling that ESPN later aired Parker’s comments on its Best of First Take afternoon show, suggesting that those are exactly the kinds of provocative comments that ESPN wants on First Take.

Furthermore, Parker’s comments didn’t just surface suddenly during a discussion of Griffin and the Redskins. They were part of a broader segment that began with quotes Griffin gave to USA Today about not wanting to be defined as an African-American quarterback. The producers on First Take surely knew the basic thrust of what Parker was going to say. And they surely knew he was going to say something controversial. And they surely liked that, because First Take is a show designed to draw ratings by stirring controversy.

aggiejazz
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »

They were part of a broader segment that began with quotes Griffin gave to USA Today about not wanting to be defined as an African-American quarterback. T

You would think that by now a smart black person would have a better answer to being a "black this or a black that" than stating I don't want to be considered a "black professional".

How about stating "I am black and I am a NFL quarterback" and I am proud of being both.  brickwall
Devin
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »

They were part of a broader segment that began with quotes Griffin gave to USA Today about not wanting to be defined as an African-American quarterback. T

You would think that by now a smart black person would have a better answer to being a "black this or a black that" than stating I don't want to be considered a "black professional".

How about stating "I am black and I am a NFL quarterback" and I am proud of being both.  brickwall

If we live allegedly live in a post-racial society, why does Robert Griffin even have to answer a question like that? Why is it even an issue to begin with?
EL-COTTON
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:15:05 AM »

Because whites and other races never say they do not want to be known as anything other than what they are. They embrace who they are and therefore they never have to authenticate their place in life. I agree, the answer should always be if asked: I am African- American and the employment is my profession.  There is no shame in being African -American anything. The reality is you are Black before you are anything. Just walk into a room of people. You are always first identified by skin color. nod

Deeds not stones, are the true monuments of the great.
THA_MAD_RAPPER
Assistant GM

SH*T TALKER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:11 AM »

I agree with RG3 dont define me by my race define me by my role, job and how well I do the job. Like said he knows he is black and proud of it, and that his race will be looked at. He does not just want to be called a good black quarterback, he wants to be a considered a good quarteback regardless of race.

Ken
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:09:43 AM »

" Races don't marry---PEOPLE marry"

Dr. Martin Luther King
UNA08
Neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"

Parker can call him green, red, purple, orange, ect but it doesnt change that RG3 is a intelligent man and is having a great rookie season.
THA_MAD_RAPPER
Assistant GM

SH*T TALKER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »

Rob Parker thinks his critics are “uneducated” and “silly”

ESPN has admitted that commentator Rob Parker crossed the line when he questioned whether Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is not really black because he has a white fiancee. But Parker doesn’t seem to think he did anything wrong.

After making those comments on Thursday morning, Parker was inundated with criticism on Twitter, and in his responses on Thursday afternoon, he generally acted as though he was the one who was owed an apology for anyone daring to question what he’d said. Parker called his critics, among other things, “uneducated” and “silly.”

But Parker suddenly stopped tweeting on Thursday, presumably because his bosses at ESPN told him to knock it off. After all, if the critics who were going after Parker on Twitter are uneducated and silly, doesn’t that mean the bosses at ESPN who said Parker’s comments were inappropriate are also uneducated and silly?

Before he went silent on Twitter, Parker also told critics to tune in to Friday’s First Take for more discussion of the matter. That’s right out of the First Take playbook: The show thrives on provoking controversy. But Friday’s First Take didn’t open with Parker or with any discussion of Griffin. Instead, the show simply ignored Parker’s comments and launched into an argument between panelists Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith about Sunday’s Steelers-Cowboys game.

WileECoyote06
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »

They knew what he was going to say.  Television shows have production meetings to discuss these things.  That's why they rarely look surprised or taken aback by their comments. 

They changed the format of First Take and this is what they get.

Devin
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »

Because whites and other races never say they do not want to be known as anything other than what they are. They embrace who they are and therefore they never have to authenticate their place in life. I agree, the answer should always be if asked: I am African- American and the employment is my profession.  There is no shame in being African -American anything. The reality is you are Black before you are anything. Just walk into a room of people. You are always first identified by skin color. nod

But he was asked about being the best black QB. Nobody asks Andrew Luck if wanted to be regarded as the best white QB. Nobody asks a question like that to Tom Brady or Drew Brees.

But if you read more of his comments about this subject, you will see how he understands how African- Americans feel about him, and that he sees nothing wrong with it.
m ford
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »

Tiger Woods said that he wasn't black he is mixed and he didn't want to be call black. WHAT A NUT CASE HE IS.  All I'll say is, get caught speeding in Miss, GA, SC. in them hick towns ect, and see what they call you son. You would be called "sumpin" but black wouldn't be the word. RG3 aint no different than than the average black male athlete  with money or going to get some............GUESS WHAT?Huh?Huh? THEY GET THEM A WHITE WOMAN!!  shrug
Neymar
Assistant GM

النصر لنا

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »

Tiger Woods said that he wasn't black he is mixed and he didn't want to be call black. WHAT A NUT CASE HE IS.  All I'll say is, get caught speeding in Miss, GA, SC. in them hick towns ect, and see what they call you son. You would be called "sumpin" but black wouldn't be the word. RG3 aint no different than than the average black male athlete  with money or going to get some............GUESS WHAT?Huh?Huh? THEY GET THEM A WHITE WOMAN!!  shrug

Tiger woods mom is Asian.

Why should he reject the very womb, from whence he came, due to your former slave masters in the south not being able to tell the difference?

We eat ribs and whatnot...and listen to SALSA music!
Neymar
Assistant GM

النصر لنا

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »

Also there is nothing wrong with marrying white women.

In fact, unless you act like a functional retard like Vick or Jamarcus Russell white women will be showing you more love than black women anyway if you are coming from RGIII background.

A white women was good enough to make YOUR BLACK PRESIDENT, but they aint good enough for a quarterback for some second-rate football team in the same city?

You sound like a racist like that Parker guy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:06:27 PM by Neymar » Logged

We eat ribs and whatnot...and listen to SALSA music!
Oldschoolram
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »

Because there is a stereotype that goes with "Black Quarterback."
EPJr
Assistant GM

So Proud 2B a Panther; da Raider Nation; DCU4Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »

If we live allegedly live in a post-racial society, why does Robert Griffin even have to answer a question like that? Why is it even an issue to begin with?

you can tell by the way he dresses that Rob is still stuck in Mid-Century Modern
Pages: [1] 2 Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

News