Quantcast
Can Black Clergy Reframe AIDS Fight?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 02:38:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Access the Fan Forum through your mobile phone at http://mobff.onnidan.com.  Bookmark this URL for future mobile access.

+  Onnidan Fan Forum
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  General Discussion Forum
| | | |-+  Can Black Clergy Reframe AIDS Fight?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Last Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can Black Clergy Reframe AIDS Fight?  (Read 336 times)
Jay_Thomas
Assistant GM

Da'HOUSE, Baby!

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »

A Philadelphia program involving them could serve as a model for tackling HIV via the pulpit.

Despite the fact that African Americans now lead the nation in new cases of the HIV virus, and the fact that AIDS is the third leading cause of death among black men and women ages 35 to 44, the issue has not been embraced as a priority social justice issue by many predominantly black churches. While black pastors, for instance, played key roles as visible and vocal champions of voting and voter access this election cycle, fewer have used their weight similarly to mobilize their congregations around the issue of HIV awareness, prevention and testing.

Phil Wilson, executive director of the Black AIDS Institute, told The Root that "black pastors are engaged more than they were in the past, but not as much as they need to be, given the disproportionate impact on our community." But new research shows that they could be the key to overcoming cultural barriers to fighting the spread of AIDS in the black community.

entire article:
http://www.theroot.com/views/can-black-clergy-reframe-aids-fight?wpisrc=root_lightbox

DC, Get Ready, cuz The House is coming!
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »

nod The black church can really help on  lots of issues. I say this because many in our community look to the church for direction and guidance.
Mas Casa
Head Coach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »

I say if there was a correlation between tithing and reducing the AIDS epidemic, you'd see more black clergy involved.
Neymar
Assistant GM

النصر لنا

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »

Well unless they can get gay kneegros to wear condoms, or get black women from lusting these gay men, then nothing they can do will change anything.

eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »

Well unless they can get gay kneegros to wear condoms, or get black women from lusting these gay men, then nothing they can do will change anything.

That is key.  The problem with some pastors is that if they preach wearing condoms, they are saying it is o.k. to have sex.  The church's messages is, "No Sex."  Some churches must be convienced that the no sex message is not working.  We must teach people to protect themselves. 

Whether great or small, victory is victory!
Jay_Thomas
Assistant GM

Da'HOUSE, Baby!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »

It STILL baffles me that in 2012-bout-ta-be-2013, people will not protect themselves....they rely [foolishly] on someone else to do it for them. Then they are the poster child/victim for STDs, HIV, and whatever else THEY could have possibly prevented.  no   It STILL baffles me that we need the church to preach to folks to wear condoms? Really? Apparently, folks aren't listening to any other messages in the church [my opinion] so why would this be any different...or would it?

tongue2 WHAT MAKES FOLKS THINK
THAT THEY ARE SOMEHOW INVINCIBLE
 TO CATCHING HIV/STD's?Huh?
  shrug

And I don't see any changes in human behavior in the foreseable future unfortunately.

STILL...some effort is better than NO effort and so long as somebody takes heed and is saved from catching this, those efforts are not in vain.

DC, Get Ready, cuz The House is coming!
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »

That is key.  The problem with some pastors is that if they preach wearing condoms, they are saying it is o.k. to have sex.  The church's messages is, "No Sex."  Some churches must be convienced that the no sex message is not working.  We must teach people to protect themselves. 

Gay men don't have sex with women, bisexual men do.  Straight men don't have sex with gay or bisexual men either. Bisexuality is the big area many African Americans refuse to deal with. The question we have to ask ourselves is this; 'what role does society play in forcing a bisexual person's sexual partner selection?' Until the community deals with that issue head on, you are always going to have people doing what they really want, then flip flopping to conform to a standard of society.
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »

Gay men don't have sex with women, bisexual men do.  Straight men don't have sex with gay or bisexual men either. Bisexuality is the big area many African Americans refuse to deal with. The question we have to ask ourselves is this; 'what role does society play in forcing a bisexual person's sexual partner selection?' Until the community deals with that issue head on, you are always going to have people doing what they really want, then flip flopping to conform to a standard of society.

And straight men have sex with women who had sex with bisexual men.  Also, straight men share needles in drug use.  This is not just a gay and bisexual problem, this is a problem for all in the black community. 

Some people are convinced that they are too big to wear condoms and that condoms take away the pleasures of sex. 

Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »

This is where the church can really help. Talk about sex and condom use. Of course if abstinence is your priority, teach that, but just don't stop there. Also everybody need to be educated about bisexuality as well.
How do you deal with it, how do you encourage people to be open about their sexual preferences? If people were more open about what they are into,  their partner can deal directly with the situation.  Some people like to compartmentalize their sexuality by believing that the hidden side has nothing to do with being loyal to a committed partner.  You know the ole, "well I'm emotionally committed to you' or 'you are the only woman in my life', or 'It's only physical because I can't get emotionally attached to someone of the same sex."  Sadly some folk accept those excuses. And excuses to do what you want is all they really are.
eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:21:36 PM »

This is where the church can really help. Talk about sex and condom use. Of course if abstinence is your priority, teach that, but just don't stop there. Also everybody need to be educated about bisexuality as well.
How do you deal with it, how do you encourage people to be open about their sexual preferences? If people were more open about what they are into,  their partner can deal directly with the situation.  Some people like to compartmentalize their sexuality by believing that the hidden side has nothing to do with being loyal to a committed partner.  You know the ole, "well I'm emotionally committed to you' or 'you are the only woman in my life', or 'It's only physical because I can't get emotionally attached to someone of the same sex."  Sadly some folk accept those excuses. And excuses to do what you want is all they really are.

I agree. 

Bearforlife
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »

@Cap you're preaching right now!

For some reason, churches have no problem asking for a person's W-2 forms but you can't talk about sex. I do think it is important to examine sex from a Biblical standpoint. To speak of it in terms of what it was originally meant for. That yes, it is should be enjoyable, yes it is beautiful, yes it is normal, yes your desires are normal, that is how we were created, but that it's intentions were to literally make two people one within the bonds of a committed, monogamous marriage. This is what I think should be preached from the pulpit.

Now, from a community outreach standpoint which is also encumbent upon the body of Christ, I think that in small group discussions, outreach ministries, etc. There is nothing wrong with discussing ways to prevent infection and that includes abstinence. However, abstinence only programs DO NOT work. I think open, honest, and clear discussions work the best. And to have those discussions early in life. I don't think a kid should go past the third grade without having a serious open talk about sex.

Neymar
Assistant GM

النصر لنا

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:49 PM »

Yes they do, and yes they will until our community accepts them rather than judge them.

I have known countless of Gay brothers who have relationships with women because they dont want their families to disown them, and they dont want the stigma associated with them.

Your type of thinking will get black women hurt. They do sleep with them while in these fake relationships because they feel they have to

Devin
Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »

I agree with, Jay here. We live in a time where we can find out about anything anytime we want with very little restrictions. There are countless programs and awareness campaigns out there about STDs/AIDS/HIV condom use, etc.

If folks aren't taking advantage of the current resources and information available, then what can the church do? Seriously? There should be no excuse for folks unaware of the dangers of unprotected sex or drug use or not getting tested.

Sure, the church speak about sex from a biblical perspective, but at the end of the day folks are going to do what they want to do. Period. Two weeks ago when the football player murdered his girlfriend and shot himself, my Facebook news feed was filled with edicts about how bad domestic violence is. The next day, I wrote a story about a woman shooting to death her boyfriend after they got into an altercation. Two days ago, I wrote a story about a man shooting his girlfriend in the stomach during an argument.

Again, people are going to do what they want to do.
Capler
Assistant GM

Assistant GM

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »

"Yes they do, and yes they will until our community accepts them rather than judge them.

I have known countless of Gay brothers who have relationships with women because they dont want their families to disown them, and they dont want the stigma associated with them."

Again gay and straight people seldom, if ever cross that line, even though they may experiment as kids as a part of discovery. A straight man has no physical interest in someone of the same sex. A gay man has no interest in a woman.  I agree some folk have done it just to conform, but there won't be much happening in the bedroom.

Some of the gay people you are referring to are not really gay. Just like every declared straight person is not really straight. What many bisexual persons do is settle into one role or another and define themselves as that because it's less complicated; gay or straight.  Society has pretty much reconciled itself with homosexuality but not bisexuality.  Just like many biracial people (black/white mix) tend to lean toward African Americans in identity, many bisexual people tend to select gay because the gay community is more accepting and understanding of their plight. Think about it, if you are a bisexual male,  you can go out with your gay boys and tell them that you sometimes like women and nothing negative will ever be said. It might not go as well if you went out with your straight boys and tell them that you sometimes like to get with men. These are the type of barriers that must be broken down so people can freely be who they are.

eagle pride
Assistant GM

Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »

Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married dealt with this same issue tonight.  Thanks T.P.

Pages: [1] 2 Last Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

HBCUFanNation Store - Custom Sportswear, Merchandise & Apparel including T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Jerseys & more

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News